Thursday, May 16, 2013

Let's play catch up with the job situation today.

After not working for five years ( I was home with my kids ) I went back to work seasonally for Target. This seemed like an excellent idea... Redcard discount + employee discount + coupons = Hell Yeah!! The hours were crap but that's retail for ya. It never bothered me too much because I was used to pulling long shifts from back when I managed a Beall's Outlet ( best/worst job ever ) in Florida. So, Target kept me on after I pretty much begged to keep my job. It really wasn't for the discount at this point,the whole we're getting a divorce and I'm leaving right now with nothing was happening. Enter Myles, ( aka LOVE OF MY LIFE ) and co-worker. Who knew that Target could bring me so much awesomeness?! Sadly, the love affair with Target was destined to end. I know I am this amazing work horse of a woman but EVERY WEEKEND, C'mon! I requested a schedule change so that I could either be off evenings on Saturday or mornings on Sunday for Church. I was really missing that part of my life and felt a sudden overwhelming urge to correct the matter. When they wouldn't even consider working on a compromise of any kind. I did the unthinkable... I walked out. A tiny bit afraid. A whole lot pissed off. Very proud that I was still standing my ground and continuing the take no shit from anyone attitude I had at one time abandoned.

An entire month went by... maybe even a little more than that. I lost track as the jobless depression set in. Lord knows I was applying to everything possible.

I finally got a call back from Ross and interviewed for a management position that never happened. They really could have used me that's for sure. I took the crap part time position they offered and kept up the job search. There was all sorts of talk about making me front end management, but YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE. I got a call for an interview after just two weeks for a brand new store coming to town that I had applied for a management position with. I was not going to let another one get past me. I am damn good at my job and after all the shit I have been dealing with I damn well deserve a great job.

I was offered that assistant manager position on the spot. Thank you FLOOR & DECOR for seeing my amazingness!! That has to have been the best day in years for me. Finally!! The only downside is the store isn't quite built yet and that puts me at Ross for an entire month and a half. Ha! No it doesn't. I took another giant risk ( or leap of faith depending on how you look at it ) and walked out on them. I would have gladly kept working for them had there been even an ounce of respect given to me. Those folks wore me out and broke me down physically. I'm talking full on PANIC ATTACK, nervous breakdown. It was NO BUENO.

Now I am waiting out the month until work starts. Making $75 a week working for my aunt. I manage to squeak by on that but just barely. My bills haven't been paid in two months. My credit that I was working so hard on protecting has been shot to hell. The only thing keeping me going is knowing that in just a couple paychecks I will be entirely caught up and back on my game. FLOOR & DECOR pays extremely well.

In the end, my take no shit attitude paid off. Furthering my belief that without RISK there is no REWARD. That having FAITH ( even if you have nothing else ) is all you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment