When I think of all the things that really make up a relationship and keep it healthy and loving these are just a handful of the words that come to mind.
TRUST
HONESTY
LOYALTY
RESPECT
COMMITMENT
I'm looking at this list and thinking to myself... How are the boyfriend and I still together?
It's no secret that I have TRUST issues. I grew up in a broken family. I married a man who lied to me and cheated on me. I thought I could trust the boyfriend, but then came recent revelations... Yeah, not so much.
To be fair, he broke my trust by trying to spare my feelings, but I need to know that no matter what the consequences may be I can trust him to tell me the truth.
Clearly, TRUST & HONESTY go hand in hand. Even the tiniest lies do terrible amounts of damage to a relationship. I have always been the type of person that will just come out and tell a person what I think, have a problem with, want... to a fault even. I won't say that I have never lied.Rather to spare someone's feelings or to save my ass, I'm just as guilty as the next person. Typically the people I have lied to aren't ones I respect, love, or care for. The older I have gotten though, the more honest I have become. Hey, THE TRUTH HURTS, but it will also set you free.
I can't think of a better quality in a person than LOYALTY. I am fiercely loyal to my family and friends, and of course to the boyfriend. I will stand by the ones I love until the very end. Thus far there hasn't been an instance, to my knowledge, that his loyalty to me has been an issue. For me, I feel like I am always standing up for him in some way or another, and I do so immediately and with not a bit of hesitation.
I really don't feel like you can say that you love someone if you don't RESPECT that person. I am a firm believer that RESPECT IS EARNED and not a right. I believe if you want someone to respect you then you must have respect for yourself. I do believe there can be varying degrees of respect, but for me in a relationship if you don't have the utmost respect for your partner, you should probably be questioning why you are with that person.
The bottom line is a relationship is a COMMITMENT. Period. You have committed yourself to another person. I have such a hard time hearing people say they aren't ready for something serious,yet they want the relationship. Relationships are serious. They are serious work. If you aren't ready to be serious then don't enter into the relationship, what you are looking for is a friendship.
Then there are words like...
COMPROMISE
PATIENCE
UNDERSTANDING
I am more than willing to COMPROMISE where certain things are concerned. It's important to meet each other half way and to make an effort to work through all the issues that come up along the way. You can't expect one person to do all the compromising though. Eventually that person gets tired and becomes unwilling to bend.
They say PATIENCE is a virtue. Well, I'm pretty sure when the BIG GUY was doling out gifts he skipped me on this one. I have never been one to sit back and just wait to see what happens. Perhaps I miss out on some beautiful WOW moments by being in such a hurry, but then how can you miss what never was. I fully appreciate and enjoy every moment of the RUSH that is my life. Sometimes I'll even slow down a second, maybe rewind a moment and enjoy it all over again, but then I am off and running. Jumping head first into the next AMAZING moment. Maybe I do need to learn to slow things down, maybe I'd even enjoy life at a slower pace. I'm sure it has it moments. I just know that TIME WAITS FOR NO MAN. We are not promised tomorrow with the ones we love, so why wait for the sure thing...there is no such thing anyway.
I'm as UNDERSTANDING as the next person. Some of you who know me may be laughing at this point. I understand that we are all unique individuals. I understand that my way doesn't work for everyone. I understand that change is difficult for some people. OLD HABITS DIE HARD. I can't understand letting what could be the best thing in your life escape you because you are afraid to change. The world is constantly changing, ever evolving, and so then do we.
Then there are words like...
COMPROMISE
PATIENCE
UNDERSTANDING
I am more than willing to COMPROMISE where certain things are concerned. It's important to meet each other half way and to make an effort to work through all the issues that come up along the way. You can't expect one person to do all the compromising though. Eventually that person gets tired and becomes unwilling to bend.
They say PATIENCE is a virtue. Well, I'm pretty sure when the BIG GUY was doling out gifts he skipped me on this one. I have never been one to sit back and just wait to see what happens. Perhaps I miss out on some beautiful WOW moments by being in such a hurry, but then how can you miss what never was. I fully appreciate and enjoy every moment of the RUSH that is my life. Sometimes I'll even slow down a second, maybe rewind a moment and enjoy it all over again, but then I am off and running. Jumping head first into the next AMAZING moment. Maybe I do need to learn to slow things down, maybe I'd even enjoy life at a slower pace. I'm sure it has it moments. I just know that TIME WAITS FOR NO MAN. We are not promised tomorrow with the ones we love, so why wait for the sure thing...there is no such thing anyway.
I'm as UNDERSTANDING as the next person. Some of you who know me may be laughing at this point. I understand that we are all unique individuals. I understand that my way doesn't work for everyone. I understand that change is difficult for some people. OLD HABITS DIE HARD. I can't understand letting what could be the best thing in your life escape you because you are afraid to change. The world is constantly changing, ever evolving, and so then do we.
No comments:
Post a Comment